Friday, July 17, 2009

StarCraft II Beta Test Date Thoughts

Just some thoughts regarding the beta test date while I've got a few moments of free time. First of all, we know that the new Battle.net is taking people's system specifications to opt in to SC2 beta testing. This is how you submit yourself into the running to beta test the game. If you haven't do so yet, I'd recommend hopping onto that site, setting up an account and submitting your system specs. Fine and dandy, yet we still have no beta test release date at this point. After watching the first three battlereports on the official StarCraft 2 site, it does look like the game is just about ready for beta testing, and I already really like what I see thus far. If the next few weeks stays as devoid of news as things have been lately, I'll go into each of the battlereport videos in depth. For now, I'm going to guess that the beta will be released sometime after Blizzcon, meaning early September 09.

For now, let me just say that StarCraft II looks like it will be staying true to the original game in most respects, and adding some fresh (but not overbearing) elements as well. Watching the battlereports showed me that the play style for each race seems to have stayed the same as well. I had heard lots of complaints over the Internet that there weren't any new races, but adding a new race would have forced these play style elements to be changed. I for one am very happy that they seem to have remained similar to the first game. However, it does look to me as though the game might have moved (ever so slightly) toward the micromanagement game. All the videos I've seen seem to have involved smaller numbers of units, and many of the units have special abilities, particularly the Protosss (we've seen lots of teleportation and force fields so far).

I'll be going into greater details later. As of now, I'm still working on my battle.net stuff. More to come soon.

tw8nqjcbu3

No comments:

Post a Comment